Rome Total War:Protectorates
Werewolf
2005-11-07 23:10:37 UTC
What in the heck does one need to do to get a city to agree to become a
protectorate?

I can't do it. Even with what is obviously overwhelming force that will
be able to march at will and utterly annhilate what ever it wants the AI
just will not agree to becoming a protectorate. They'd always rather die
than give up their freedom. Now - that's a laudable sentiment but not
overly practical in the face of overwhelming odds.

So what's the secret? Anyone ever got the AI to agree to becoming a
protectorate?
Henri Arsenault
2005-11-08 12:23:34 UTC
Post by Werewolf
What in the heck does one need to do to get a city to agree to become a
protectorate?
I can't do it. Even with what is obviously overwhelming force that will
be able to march at will and utterly annhilate what ever it wants the AI
just will not agree to becoming a protectorate. They'd always rather die
than give up their freedom. Now - that's a laudable sentiment but not
overly practical in the face of overwhelming odds.
So what's the secret? Anyone ever got the AI to agree to becoming a
protectorate?
No, even when I am threatening the last enemy city with overwhelming
force, the AI refuses a protectorate. I could never get one.

Henri
shadows
2005-11-08 13:27:26 UTC
Post by Werewolf
What in the heck does one need to do to get a city to agree to become a
protectorate?
I can't do it. Even with what is obviously overwhelming force that will
be able to march at will and utterly annhilate what ever it wants the AI
just will not agree to becoming a protectorate. They'd always rather die
than give up their freedom. Now - that's a laudable sentiment but not
overly practical in the face of overwhelming odds.
So what's the secret? Anyone ever got the AI to agree to becoming a
protectorate?
You need to humiliate them not corner them. Also protectorate is
only useful for places like Briton where they rebel a lot when
you conquer them.

Essentially if you play the game by following the senate missions
you'll see that the senate will conquer half an enemy, blockade
all its ports, and then ask one of the roman factions to demand
they become a protectorate.

I've done it with Briton. I didn't conquer them just pushed them
back to the island, and laid seige on the remaining cities. They
agreed to become a protectorate then.

Don't corner them. Humiliate them.
littlemute
2005-11-08 14:32:16 UTC
What are the advantages? I've never gotten a protectorate either
(there's a lack of trying factor though), but I would rather have an
unruly province since you can let your cities revolt, take an army in
and then exterminate the population for a big profit.
shadows
2005-11-08 19:39:37 UTC
Post by littlemute
What are the advantages? I've never gotten a protectorate either
(there's a lack of trying factor though), but I would rather have an
unruly province since you can let your cities revolt, take an army in
and then exterminate the population for a big profit.
I think you can ask for tribute but generally it allows you to
subdue an enemy who is far away and make them your ally. In
Briton the cities are especially rebellious even if your capital
is close.

You should realize that capturing every city is not to your
advantage. All you get is more population and some additional
tax. Nearing the end game where your core empire is powerful, and
wealth you don't need the economic drain of guarding some far
flung city that keeps revolting.

For places like Briton I suggest making them a protectorate. I
also suggest the same with Egypt.